I’ve got 20!
But who cares? No big deal. I want mooooooore!
Okay, I’m back from junior high, sorry!
Let’s catch up shall we?
* * * * * * * * * *
1. The other day, Mr. Won’t Run asked me why I never wear dresses – I think he’s trying to tell me something. It’s just so hard when you don’t *have* to dress up for work. I know, I know… I should put in the extra effort for myself (or for the Mr.), but myself doesn’t feel like a fancy dress-for-no-reason kind of person. Plus, when I do wear a dress I apparently double in size, check this out, I seriously look like I’m ready to give birth:
Anyone want an Old Navy maxi dress circa 2011? Hey, if Pioneer Woman can give her clothes away on the internet why not me? I love the pattern and colors so I hate that it’s not so flattering, maybe when I learn to sew I can re-fashion it into a skirt or something?
2. This past weekend I had two races planned and I wound up 0 for 2. The Color Run was on Saturday and I was going to walk it with a work friend but it ended up being a very busy weekend for her as she was planning her daughter’s fifth birthday party. I actually talked her out of doing it since she really didn’t have the time and I knew it would just add more stress, so we’ll hopefully be coloring it up next year. Then I woke up on Sunday with awful cramps (TMI for the blog?) so I decided to skip the 5k I was going to run and I spent the next two days in the fetal position with my heating pad. Not to worry though, the Red Faced Runners have a new challenge out and I’m looking for a race to do the weekend of November 17th. Who wants to join me?
3. On Friday we had dinner at Ox and it was amazing! Drinks – my tall pink one was homemade hibiscus soda, and Mr. Won’t Run had a Shipwreck which contained Bourbon, Rum, Lime, Mint, and Angostura Bitters. Their version of clam chowder was so rich and out of this world with marrow bone and jalapenos. One of our side dishes was the “Heirloom hominy, braised pork belly, cilantro, chilies, olive oil-fried duck egg”, and the Mr. had a steakfor dinner.
I had the Chorizo for dinner, and we also tried an empanada (grilled corn, poblano chili, potato, and fontina), the chilled seafood sampler which contained five different dishes (“Oregon bay shrimp ceviche, salmon gravlax & halibut tartare, mussel poke, scallop salad “dynamite,” Dungeness crab cocktail”), and the risotto (summer squash, parmigiano reggiano, mascarpone, herb butter). Oh yeah, and there was bread with homemade chimichurri, and we had dessert as well – I had the torte (“warm hazelnut brown butter torte, honey-chamomile ice cream, honeycomb candy) and he had the magic (“roasted peach-blackberry sorbet, bittersweet chocolate magic shell, local summer fruits”).
Yeah, we kind of do this thing where we order a TON of stuff at a new place because it all looks so darn good. Ox did not disappoint!
4. Attending a blog conference is on my 35 Things list but those suckers can be super pricey so I was thrilled to find out about Online Blog Con! It’s Oct 22-24, only $15, and all online so I won’t have to miss my day job – shoot! I’m still trying to get to a face-to-face blog conference within the next year but this one was impossible to pass up.
5. Speaking of blogging, I’ve also discovered Pacific Northwest Bloggers and Portland Bloggers. It’s so fun finding local bloggers and they even have meet-ups for networking and learning. I’m going to a meet-up in October and November which is so far out of my comfort zone! I’m definitely more of a wallflower, a behind-the-scenes type of girl, but this will be good for me, and everyone I have interacted with so far has been so nice and encouraging. I think it’s going to be great.
6. I am absolutely a Fall girl and my Susan Branch 2012 calendar is speaking loudly to me this month, I thought this George Eliot quote was beautiful… delicious autumn… my soul is wedded to it…
7. I’m pretty sure Mr. Won’t Run speaks the Love Language of gift giving since he spoiled me rotten the other night. We went to the mall to get him some work clothes and I ended the evening with a new sweater from Express (but it’s not a *sweater* sweater because I have too many of those, this is more of a “throw” as the Mr. described it… a loose, flowy cardigan type… different than the typical chunky cable-knit sweater type of sweater). I couldn’t even tell you the last time I was in an Express store, for some reason I’ve been thinking it was way too young for me but I was wrong and I’ll definitely be checking it out again. I’m not sure it will take the place of LOFT in my life but we’ll see. And if that wasn’t enough, the Mr. got me the sunglasses I have been drooling over for months now – Drizzle by Oakley, a rather appropriate name for them since I’ll be wearing them in Oregon, don’t you think? My track record with sunglasses isn’t the greatest so this may be the one an only time he ever buys me a pair. My theory is that since they’re so nice I’ll take better care of them and not scratch them up or lose them… we’ll see how that goes.
8. I’m almost done reading Quitter and highly recommend it. It’s not what I expected at all but that’s a good thing. As I explained on Instagram, it’s helping me realize that my day job is a stepping stone and not a cement block that has been tied to my ankles and tossed over a pier. Goodness, that makes it sound like I hate my job which isn’t really the case, it’s a good job with good people, just not my passion, you know? Haven’t quite figured out that whole life’s passion thing yet.
9. I used the PicFrame app to create the picture above as part of Fat Mum Slim’s monthly photo-a-day challenge. The topic for 10/4 is “what you read”. There are all sorts of photo-a-day challenges out there but I like hers because it’s not specific to one topic for the whole month. If you’re looking for a reason to take more pictures and work your creative brain you should check it out!
10. I finally tracked down an Ava Anderson Non-Toxic rep nearby and we met up for coffee tonight! Her name is Jessica and she is a super nice gal who sells a super great product! If you’re looking for safe, non-toxic skincare, make-up, sunscreen, cleaning products, etc., you should totally check out AANT. Funny story – I was actually signed up with AANT a few years ago, I was a “founding consultant”, #2400, and I was the first one in Oregon. That is basically a direct sales dream come true but I decided the home-party thing wasn’t for me, I just don’t have the personality to make it work. It’s an amazing story though… a 15 year old who was appalled to learn about the toxic ingredients in skincare products so she started her own company. I ordered some shampoo, conditioner, and styling cream and can’t wait to try them out. I can also tell you from past experience that the lip scrub and the toner are awesome!
* * * * * * * * * *
So there you have it, some of the stuff I’ve been up to lately. Have you figured out yet that I can be kind of wordy… or “verbose” as the Mr. would say.
Twitter has been a difficult adjustment.