1. A whole month of blogging in September and now my first October post isn’t until the 23rd!! I may need a refresher on how this whole blogging thing works. I’ve had plenty on my mind to share, but work has been a bit crazy this month with my partner-in-crime out of the office for the last 5 weeks, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is get back on the computer. Thank goodness she’s back on Monday, work isn’t as fun without her!
2. The weather in Oregon is finally cooling off and starting to feel like Fall and I always get back into tea this time of year. Tea is one of the things I try to buy organic, but this new Dirty Chai from Celestial Seasonings was too interesting to pass up – CHAI TEA + ESPRESSO! The chai spices aren’t overpowering, and the espresso is light and doesn’t leave a bitter coffee flavor at all. Added a splash of creamer and it was that perfect cup that gives you the cozy blanket + roaring fireplace feeling. That makes sense, right? Or am I just a crazy Fall person? The only problem is that the first time I had it was Tuesday evening around 5:30pm. Apparently I didn’t register the part where it said espresso, but it finally clicked about 9 hours later. It’s now in the morning tea rotation.
3. Tried this year’s version of the Pumpkin Spice Latte (you know, with actual pumpkin in it)… still not a fan. Anyone else brave enough to admit that?
4. Jem and the Holograms opens today – no thank you. Question for movie producers… why make a version of something that is “loosely based” on the original? All you’re going to do is piss off the fans who loved it, especially when you change everything that was lovable about it! How does that make sense? Me and my inner 9 year old have no desire to see this.
5. Are you local and looking for some pumpkin patch fun this weekend? Head to Our Table in Sherwood for the second weekend of their ORGANIC U-PICK PUMPKIN PATCH! Get your gourd on and take a hay ride around the farm, snap a photo in the farmer photo booth, use their pumpkin carving station to spare your home from kitchen guts, and check out their seasonal treats like caramel apples and popcorn balls – this Saturday and Sunday, 10-6!
6. Speaking of local, I discovered a new-to-me local blogger recently – REAL FOOD, WHOLE LIFE – her site is beautiful and she has recipes like this Tuscan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce that needs to get in my mouth ASAP!
7. And in more local news (sorry, can’t help it), my friend Heather from Aspen Summit has partnered with Casey from Menagerie (an adorable boutique in a restored 1979 airstream!), and they’re opening a storefront in Portland called WORK/SHOP. It will be a botanical gift boutique as well as a collective work space where they can host classes like brush lettering, macramé, fiber art wall hangings, smudge sticks, etc. Want more info? Sign up for their newsletter here, store opens Friday, November 13th!
8. So, it’s October, and that means a lot of pink ribbon stuff for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The last few years I’ve had mixed feelings about this. Is anyone on the planet not aware of breast cancer? Yes, awareness of the disease is important, awareness of early detection measures is very important, but let’s up our awareness of PREVENTION! I’d love to see more mainstream talk about the environmental factors, chemicals, and radiation that are known and suspected of being linked to cancers. Obviously there’s no surefire prevention method (besides removing certain body parts), but let’s do what we can to protect ourselves in the areas we have control over. I may not be able to change my family medical history, but I can certainly make different choices in the things I put in and on my body today. Let’s educate ourselves so we can make informed choices. Let’s focus more on what we CAN do instead of throwing up our hands and just hoping for a cure one day. Let’s try stopping it before it starts. It’s easy to see a pink ribbon on a product, buy it, and feel like you contributed to the cause, but before you get your ribbon on, check out the 5 tips in this article to make sure your support is making the impact you want – #3 makes me want to punch someone in the face! #RethinkThePink
9. On a lighter note… I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the amazing scent of wintry pine trees should NEVER be used as a bathroom air freshener. Merry Poopy Christmas. (By the way, did you know it’s wintry and not wintery? I like wintery better.)
What do you have planned for the weekend?
I’ve got laundry on the agenda, and getting together for dinner with some college friends! If anyone mentions how long it’s been since we’ve been in college I’m going to stab myself with a fork and then order another glass of wine.