I’m a Peridot, but I was born a month early which I think explains my love of Sapphires. Not to get down on the Peridot, it has its place, I’ve just always been drawn to the blue of the Sapphire.
I got my first Sapphire from Mr. Won’t Run as a Christmas present the first year we were dating for that holiday. We had finally and officially gotten together that February so by December I was ready to make it even more official because I knew he was it. So when I opened up my gift and it was a ring box you can imagine what I was thinking, right? RING!!!
But he wasn’t on his knee. He wasn’t launching into a speech listing out all the ways he loves me. We were just in his living room, not a fancy restaurant or flower covered gazebo with twinkle lights surrounding us. Nothing to indicate a proposal except what I thought was a ring box so I decided it was probably earrings.
Nope, it was a ring. A beautiful, gorgeous, stunning ring! Just not an engagement ring. It was a pear shaped Sapphire and I’m pretty sure it was surrounded by little diamonds too. It wasn’t my style at the time so he let me exchange it for a simpler ring that I picked out which was just a band of small Sapphires and Diamonds. I love my ring and still wear it every day but my style and tastes have changed over the years and I often think about that gorgeous pear-shaped original. Goodness, that was ten years ago.
Our friend Melissa recently commented that “the days are so long, but the years are so short” and I couldn’t agree more. The older I get the faster time seems to fly. It’s a little bit crazy.
I turned 34 on August 21st and it’s got me thinking. Birthdays make me reflect and I don’t always like that. It needs to be done but I usually focus on the things that I still want and need to do, the things I failed to do or change since the last birthday. Then I’m hit with the fact that I have one less year to do them.
Forget New Year’s resolutions, let’s do Birthday resolutions!
I’m making a list. Things to do before I turn 35. Hey, how about 35 things.
Some are specific one-time things and others are goals in general. I’m posting them here for all to see and hoping that makes me feel more accountable and motivated.
So, in no particular order, here we go…
35 things to do before I turn 35
1. Get a passport
2. Run a 5k (3.1 miles)
3. Run a 10k (6.2 miles)
4. Run a Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
5. Run a Marathon (26.2 miles)Ha! Just kidding, not sure I can do that w/in a year, maybe before I turn 36, we’ll see.
5. Get fitted for (and then purchase) running shoes
27. Find THE coconut cream pie recipe – if you have a good one please share!
28. Replace Mr. Won’t Run’s wedding ring (he lost it twice, both times in a batch of muffins)
29. Attend a book signing, even if I have to go by myself
30. See a trainer about Koko Puff (she’s not mean or bitey, but very protective when it’s just me and her and I need to learn how to handle it better)
31. Make and share a new recipe on the blog once a week. I’ve been lacking motivation and creativity in the kitchen lately so I’m hoping that committing to a once a week recipe will help me branch out and get inspired. It’s not like I don’t have enough cookbooks and pinsto keep me busy for a while. And we have to eat so I don’t think once a week is too much to ask of myself.
32. Read one book a month. I miss reading and should really make time for it and tackle the books by my bed. Instead of TV before bed I think I’ll switch to literature. Fiction is my favorite because reading is an escape, and Young Adult fiction is ever better, especially if it’s sci-fi/fantasy. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
33. Organize my files. I’ve been saying this for years, time to actually do it.
34. Get make-up lessons. Yes, I’m 34 and never really learned how to put make-up on so now when I want to step it up I’m not sure what to do and anything I try feels silly and I’m not sure I did it right.
35. Get Christmas gifts / cards / letters mailed out by December 15th at the latest. Mr. Won’t Run always gives me a hard time about this so let’s make him proud this year!
I’ll be sure to post updates as these get crossed off the list and I also created a 35 Things page as well.
So how about you, what’s on your to-do list before your next birthday?